Sunday, May 3, 2009

Southern Sends Part 5: L.R.C.

There was something in the air that tuesday morning as we awoke with rested bodies and sore fingers. Sure, the acuarium was fun, but now its on to the main attractions. We decided to steer clear of Rocktown and head to Little Rock City. A much closer destination, L.R.C. was only 15 minutes or so from our campsite, and quickly the crew was psyched for a day of sendage.

Once again, the boulders were nestled apon a random mountain top (starting to see another trend?) however, these rocks came equipped with their own town and... a golf course? Yes, thats right, directly next to the blocks is Mont Lake Golf Course. The owners of which graciously allow climbing to continue within the private property, as long as waivers are filled out and you're registered for the day. (There is a Limit on Climbers Daily)

Adam and JP checking out Art of the Vogi while Jess looks at a V2 next to it.

The boulders are visible from the trail, and as we entered the woods, a maze of rock surrounded us. Day 5 was now in session. We hopped on a classic V4 called Art of the Vogi. On Vogi, fun moves lead to a tricky and exciting top-out. Next we headed over to another ultra-classic, The Wave - V6. After having a local spray us down with beta, we began the funky tsunami curved arete. (Note the Video) Luke, Ben and Adam all sent, leaving me to work it out. Alas, the shut-down was severe, and I left The Wave with a bitter attitude. 

JP on The Wave - V6

Luke and Ben had gone off with a guy we met down there to check out some more problems. After working a few others, which mostly saw no sends, we headed on over to A Face in the Crowd - V7. This hidden crimp-fest was flashed by Ben, and sent by Luke. A proud addition to the WB Ticklist. We then headed over to the Dragon Lady boulder. There Jess onsighted Smog - V2, Ben (reluctantly) sent Dragon Lady - V4, and the rest of the crew checked out Tri-Star - V4. Tri-Star soon became the nemisis to Adam, who left the area feeling a lot like me. 

I don't know about him (or You), but I know that whenever I was reminded of my project, my stomach would turn, my palms would sweat, my mind becomes filled with beta, and the thought of the hopeful send clouds my head. I guess being shut-down is a neccesary section of climbing. Sometimes, you know you're stronger than a problem, but you find yourself unable to climb it. I think this is because you lack incentive to do the problem. It's not your fault that your cocky heading into a problem, a little confidence can help, but perhaps getting shut-down on something reminds us that even though a problem isn't our hardest grade, it can still put up a fight. Getting shut-down makes me feel like taking revenge on that problem, and I know next time I get on it, I'm going to give it hell. 

Climbing is style, not just 1 style either, many styles. And if that easy little V1 or V3 or V5 or V8 isn't your style, than you better work it like its as hard as your highest graded project. Because that send is more important than your highest grade.

And with that little tid-bit, I bid you adieu.
-WB

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter
html hit counter