Monday, November 16, 2009

Night Bouldering

On Tuesday morning, already psyched for the day off I was getting Wednesday for Veterans day, I got a text from my good friend Morgan...


"Were going night bouldering at Nine Corners tonight... you in?"

"Hell yes."

I had never been acquainted with the new, exciting and slightly frightening world of night bouldering, and as it would turn out, the motley crew I climbed with hadn't either. The night was full of stars, and the 50 degree air welcomed us into the woods.

My heart was beating faster than it usually would on the casual walk into Nine Corners, my world was based solely on what my headlamp flashed against... A tree, a boulder, eyes, more tree- wait... were those eyes? Oh, they were, and they were moving toward me... quickly.

Frozen in fear, I stared directly at this beast barreling towards me until...
My silent attacker wasn't some creature of the night, it was Buddy. One of the guys I was climbing with's dog.

Still, my heart had been stirred, in a good way, I knew this was going to be an interesting night and it had plenty more scares in store for me.

Nine Corners is a different world at night, without the aid of warm, refreshing sunlight, Boulders seem taller, falls seem longer and holds feel so much better. I hopped on Long Live Legos - V5, a cool, blocky arete that I had worked before, but never sent. After getting through the problems crux first move and small jump, I was on the top-out...

At night, you feel alone. More than ever before, it was just me and the boulder, I couldn't see the ground... or my spotter or single pad that sat below me, all I could see was what I hoped would be an alright hold on the arete just a few feet from my face. I threw, missed, and in a feat of intense terror, joy, excitement and pure emotion, I somehow managed to campus match my right hand... This fight was far from over.

Once again I threw for the hold, hit it, and carried out the top-out, trembling from fear.

I was hooked.
I now, officially, loved night bouldering.

The rest of the night flew by, and before we even knew it, we exhausted our 2 baguettes and (less importantly) our finger tips.

I think I can speak for the whole crew when I say night bouldering was exciting and peaceful, calm and intense, strangly pure and incredibly fun. I am eagerly awaiting the next text from Morgan, and to go back into the woods.

On the way out, I saw a strange mass coming out of the lake... oh god... not this again. Jokingly, I said to Morgan, "What is it!?". In reply (trying to be scary) she said, "It's the Nine Corners Seal!"

The ridiculous statement soothed my nerves and I was even more relieved to find it was just the dog again. It was the dog again, but I swear I saw something else swimming out in the lake... perhaps there is a Nine Corners Seal. Yeah, and he only graces his presence upon those brave enough to hike out into the woods late at night and do what they love.

Go, see for yourself.

-WB

3 comments:

  1. Does this mean that Morgan went back to show Meat and Potatoes who's boss? I sure hope so! Good for you all for going into the dark..I miss all you crazy climbing freaks.

    ~T-factor

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah dude she crushed it, flashed. it was a SICK night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JP your learning the tricks of the trade...just remember that in the awful bug months in the 'Dacks, night sessions are the only solution. Hope to see you out there soon. Also, I got on some rad projects at Crane. I will post a video soon on facebook.

    -jut

    ReplyDelete

hit counter
html hit counter