Monday, March 21, 2011

Warmth

ALWAYS as a rule, the wicked, wet, muddy times of March produce for a moment a perfect weekend of beautiful sun and warmth. As a climber, it's basically sacrilege to miss this prime opportunity. Escaping the clutches of Northeast winter, Kyle and I jetted down I-87 to reach the carriage path, perhaps one last time before the Summer months.

Straight Destiny

The air felt crisp like Fall. Of course, we had to pay, but it was worth it to meet up with Luke, and a few new friends. Erick had an impressive first day ever at the Gunks, sending The Buddha - V7 and The Following - V6. Luke also sent the Buddha and made impressive progress on Boxcar.

Luke's hands

At the Following cave, we met up with a guy name Matt that I had met at Yikes over the winter. After sharing a mutual feeling of "it's been too long for me to try anything hard today" we went and tried Yikes - V9. Matt found himself stuck at the same place as before, but felt good to know he was still there. I made more progress, moving to the iconic dyno and even attempting the jump a few times. It's too bad the season here is ending, I'm just beginning to appreciate Yikes as one of the best on the road.

Sending

We ended the day with a few cold attempts at New Pair, and went home satisfied at 5:30. The sun was still out.

I never thought I would say this, but to see Winter leave isn't all that bad...

We'll see how that goes when I start slipping off of grimy holds.

Send goggles
-WB

2 comments:

  1. Don't get too bummed...the season is no where near ending down there. In my opinion, the season is just beginning. As long as there is no snow covering the boulders/cliffs, climbing season is on! Some of my hardest sends have happened during the hot and humid summer months. Keep getting out and enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the temps/humidity that ends the season on the Road for me, it's the 15 dollar visits. I suppose we could get a season pass, but there are sooo many other free places to go.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter
html hit counter