Wednesday, March 9, 2011

College

I have recently begun the arduous process of selecting the colleges to visit, apply to and go to, and honestly, it sucks. There are more than too many schools and for someone already stunted in the area of decision making, it's literal hell. One of the only common denominators involved in my selecting of colleges is the distance to and the amount of climbing at colleges.

But even then, there's so much more rock out there than anyone could have imagined, and I still find myself fretting over where exactly I should go.

I don't want to stay in the Northeast. Well... at least not New York. I have nothing against it, I just want to be somewhere new. And given this and my previous requirement of climbing, that leaves the obvious choices: the south and the west.


But that's not the end of it, I've just found out that places like Minnesota have climbing. Minnesota? I thought that place was just a rumor or something.

So where do you think I should go? Or at least look... any and all input is greatly appreciated.

For a long time my heart was set on Boulder, but now, I'm starting to think otherwise...

-WB

5 comments:

  1. Chattanooga - U of T has a campus there. Plus you will be back east during the summer months

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but academics is still a part of it, and I could do better than UT Chatty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. while I agree academics are important, it is greatly dependent on who you work with and how much work you put into your degree. So while, UT chatty may not be a top notch school there are brilliant profs. there who would be great to work with.

    It is greatly dependent on the student, as many colleges have lost their status...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more, but it would be nice to go to a college of at least some prestige. UT Chatty is of course an option, but not my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Montana state or Evergreen is another good one. Hampshire college is the greatest and you're guaranteed to be happy there with the climbing coalition and 5-college consortium opportunities, though it in western mass. Try Harvey Mudd...and generally I recommend any college in a consortium, because it's ill in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter
html hit counter