Sunday, March 7, 2010

Heat

Every single weather report I looked at said the same thing.

Beautiful weekend coming up!
High 40's and sunny!
Finally a nice weekend!

No doubt I was psyched. I would have been more psyched if I wasn't hearing these wonderful reports lying in bed with a fever and sore throat feeling like death. My goal was no longer to get better, it was to get better by Saturday.

We decided on Lincoln Woods because it hadn't gotten any rain and the weather there looked great. High 40's to 50's and sunny. On the ride down, we watched as the temperature reading above the dashboard read 35... 37... 39... 40... 42... 45... and by then we were parked amongst many cars at Lincoln Woods.

I ditched my down jacket and immersed myself in the incredible excitement for the comfortable weather. I could finally focus on climbing and not on the cold that had been eating away at my happiness the past long, cold winter months.

We started our day at the Tombstone boulder. After examining the lines, we warmed up on a V4 called the Tombstone Nose. It looked easy enough, a short dynamic move out a small roof and then execute the technical top-out. We all dispatched accordingly.

Next we began work on The Tombstone Traverse - V6, a very cool looking piece of rock that worked its way through slopers, sidepulls, gastons and crimps to the same technical finish as the V4. On my first go, I realized something strange... my fingers were sweating... within no time my feet were on the ground and my hands were in the chalkbag. I had greased off, a sensation so foreign I was in disbelief. After much work, Aaron and Adam sent, and on my last go I sent too. Good start to the day.

As we packed up to move on to another area, Paul Robinson pulled up with some locals and began scoping out the V11 dyno on the boulder. It's weird when you meet a really strong and famous climber and then realize he is no different from you. He's just out playing in the woods.

Next we went over to the Iron Cross Area. After quickly dispatching Iron Cross - V4, we moved on down the hill to The Cave. This slightly overhung wall has many lines (and even more eliminates) that are note worthy. We all began giving goes at the different problems, and socializing with the locals. Aaron got really close on Clutch - V8, but couldn't stick the move right after the crux! Next time for sure.

We finally ended our day at Try Again. Adam and I began working on Loadies Zen - V6. This really cool problem ends in a signature jump. After many goes, Adam managed to send this rig doing the "jump" super static. He's getting strong.

I'll put up a video later of the sends.

This warm weather is reminding me the Spring is just around the corner, or maybe its right in front of us, point is I am psyched. Dack season is fast approaching and I couldn't be happier.

Not to mention the trip down to Chattanooga is in 3 weeks.

-WB

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Not getting SUPER strong. Just did't like pain from ripping off the ledge on previous jumps. The static move is easier that the jump I think. Also both V6s (Tombstone and Loadies) went 3rd go for me. Not Many tries. ;-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, i think the traverse was a little soft but it was so fun i dont even care.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter
html hit counter